Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Parenthood

We are still getting to know the small personage who entered our lives with such spectacular effect, but have already discovered his main interests; these are feeding and sleeping – mostly sleeping. He does this for 3 or 4 hours at a stretch, before reminding us that it is breakfast, or lunch, or dinner-time, or any one of a number of other mealtimes of his own invention. This is indicated by him in such a subtle and understated way that neighbours living as close as 30 or 40 miles assure us that he barely breaks their sleep at all.

I had heard said that children grow, but, as the Queen of Sheba said to Solomon, behold, the half was not told me; two weeks and a half after this child's arrival, clothes which were baggy and loose – which I fondly imagined would suit him for a year or two - cannot safely be buttoned around him.


In my few modest encounters with deserts, forests, mountains, oceans and large beasts with intruiging dental equipment, I had begun to think I was tasting adventure. Not so, dear reader! As I type, I hold on my lap a tiny human being, whom I will guide and guard through tribulations without number; of his ultimate destination, or the length of our journey together, I know nothing. Together, we have a universe to explore...

No comments: